SHS Counseling

Welcome to the SHS Counseling page.  Find links to testing information, high school planning, and college/career readiness resources.  Please see your counselor for more information or if you have any questions.



Our counseling department assigns counselors based on the first letter of your last name.  Don't know what we can do to help you? Read about our role.

Kristin Spoon (A-F) 

Anne McGaughey (G-O) 

Jennifer Carmack (P-Z) 


College  and Career Planning

College Credit Now-Get College Credit and High School Credit at the same time.

Move On When Ready (MOWR) is the new all inclusive title for Dual Enrollment.

Contact Mrs. Spoon for more information.


Georgia HOPE Scholarship.  Learn about the eligibility requirements for the Georgia HOPE Scholarship.

FAFSA.  The FAFSA is an online application that must be completed in order to receive college tuition assistance.  FAFSA is administered by Federal Student Aid, a part of the U.S. Department of Education, and is responsible for managing the student financial assistance programs authorized under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965. These programs provide grants, loans, and work-study funds to students attending college or career school.

NCAA Clearinghouse Information on initial eligibility at NCAA Division I and II member colleges and universities for student athletes.

Occupational Outlook Handbook.  The Nation′s premier source for career information! Hundreds of work profiles cover occupations and describe what they do, work environment, how to become one, occupational pay, and more. Each profile also includes Bureau of Labor Statistics employment projections for the 2010–2020 decade.

College Admission Information

University System of Georgia Requirements

Students applying for freshman admissions to a University System of Georgia institution must meet the following criteria:
  • Required High School Curriculum  (Seventeen (17) specified units – 4 Math, 4 English, 4 Science, 3 Social Studies, 2 Foreign Language)
  • A designated score on the Freshman Index (FI)
  1. FI = 500 x (HSGPA) + SAT Verbal / Critical Reading + SAT Math  (or)
  2. FI = 500 x (HSGPA) + ACT Composite x 42) + 88
    The minimum FI required for admission to a:
  1. Research university is 2500;
  2. Regional university is 2040;
  3. State university is 1940; and
  4. State or two-year college is 1830.

Research Universities – Georgia Health Sciences University, Georgia Institute of Technology, Georgia State University, University of Georgia

Regional Universities – Georgia Southern University, Valdosta State University 

State Universities
 – Albany State University, Armstrong Atlantic State University, Augusta State University, Clayton State University, Columbus State University, Fort Valley State University, Georgia College and State University, Georgia Southwestern State University, Kennesaw State University, North Georgia College and State University, Savannah State University, Southern Polytechnic State University, University of West Georgia

State Colleges – Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College, Atlanta Metropolitan College, College of Coastal Georgia, Dalton State College, Darton College, East Georgia College, Gainesville State College, Georgia Gwinnett College, Georgia Highlands College, Georgia Perimeter College, Gordon College, Macon State College, Middle Georgia College, South Georgia College.

Two Year Colleges – Bainbridge College, Waycross College 

Technical College System of Georgia Requirements

Students applying for freshman admissions to a Technical College System of Georgia institution must meet the following criteria:
  • A GED or high school diploma (verified by an official transcript including graduation date and diploma type) from a secondary school that is accredited by a regional accrediting agency
  • All students applying for diploma, degree, and certificate programs must be assessed prior to acceptance to a program of study at a Technical College.  Students will then be admitted in accordance with the academic standards applicable to that program.
  • All Technical Colleges must utilize COMPASS or ASSET, the TCSG-approved assessment instruments, when evaluating students for program readiness.  However, in the place of COMPASS or ASSET, Technical Colleges may accept a student’s official entrance score on a validated assessment instrument (such as SAT, ACT), or Georgia High School Graduation Test in English/Language Arts if the scores meet the college program’s required minimums

Technical Colleges – Albany Technical College, Altamaha Technical College, Athens Technical College, Atlanta Technical College, Augusta Technical College, Central Georgia Technical College, Chattahoochee Technical College, Columbus Technical College, Georgia Northwestern Technical College, Georgia Piedmont Technical College, Gwinnett Technical College, Lanier Technical College, Middle Georgia Technical College, Moultrie Technical College, North Georgia Technical College, Oconee Fall Line Technical College, Ogeechee Technical College, Okefenokee Technical College, Savannah Technical College, South Georgia Technical College, Southeastern Technical College, Southern Crescent Technical College, Southwest Georgia Technical College, West Georgia Technical College, Wiregrass Georgia Technical College

Graduation Requirements

Graduation requirements are outlined in the Whitfield County School District Board Policy Manual that is available online.  

Credit Recovery

Odyssey helps schools provide core instruction in a virtual school setting for students in grades 9-12. The courseware is aligned to state and national standards and has helped students recover and accrue credits for graduation and prepare for state and end-of-course tests.  The instruction is a web-based model with teacher-led video delivery. A certified teacher is available for assistance during school hours for clarification of concepts. 

EOCT Test Out Policy

Beginning in school year 2013‐2014, a student may demonstrate subject area competency by testing‐out of any course that has an associated End of Course Test (EOCT).  A unit of course credit is awarded to students who reach the performance level of Exceeds on an EOCT prior to taking a specific EOCT course.  Students have only one opportunity per course to test‐out.  At this time, a student may only earn up to three credits by testing‐out.  Students must meet the following requirements for earning course credit through testing‐out:
  • Not currently or previously enrolled in the course;
  • Have earned a grade of B or better in a content area course that is the same content area of the course for which the student is attempting the EOCT;
  • Received a teacher recommendation from a teacher in the same content area
  • Received parent/guardian permission as stated by the Local Board of Education.
Students who do not reach the performance level of Exceeds when attempting to test‐out must enroll in and complete the associated course and retake the EOCT even if the students makes a passing grade on the EOCT during the testing‐out attempt.  Students who are currently enrolled, or who have previously been enrolled, in a higher‐level course are not allowed to earn credit by later attempting to test‐out of a lower level course. For example, a student already taking AP Physics may not earn credit for Physical Science by testing‐out. Course credit of students who test‐out of a course is reported in the same way as the course credit earned through completing courses.  Local boards of education may develop policies relating to utilizing grade equivalent scores in the calculation of the student’s Grade Point Average (GPA).

Whitfield County School System Grade Equivalent from EOCT to GPA
  • EOCT 90 = Grade 93
  • EOCT 91 = Grade 94
  • EOCT 92 = Grade 95
  • EOCT 93 = Grade 96
  • EOCT 94 = Grade 97
  • EOCT 95 = Grade 98
  • EOCT 96 and above = Grade 100

Under NCAA requirements, units of credit earned through testing‐out using the EOCT will not count as a core course credit for athletic aid for any student seeking NCAA Division I or II athletic scholarships.


Transcripts are mailed to colleges upon written request to the school counseling office. Students desiring transcripts sent to colleges or other post-secondary schools should fill out a form in the guidance counselor’s office.